Type 1 Mechanical Linear (12V)
The outstanding design of the Raymarine linear drive unit provides:
- powerful thrust, fast hardover times and quiet operation
- low backdrive force, to minimize the drive’s effect on the boat’s steering when the autopilot is in standby
- a powerful electric motor controlled by an electromagnetic
fail-safe clutch, using a high tensile belt drive and epicyclic gearbox
- high performance for minimum current consumption
Mechanical Linear Drives
One of our most commonly used drive types for sailing vessels. Raymarine
mechanical linear drives provide powerful thrust, fast hard-over times
and quiet operation. Mounted below decks, the linear drive moves the
rudder directly by pushing the tiller arm or a rudder quadrant.
A linear drive unit connects to the rudder stock via an independent
tiller arm. Accessory fittings from your steering manufacturer may be
required. Must be able to back-drive steering system from the rudder.
Maximum boat displacement
11,000 kg (24,000 lb)
295 kg (650 lb)
300 mm (12")
Hard-over to hard-over times
Maximum rudder torque
735 nm (6,500 lb.in)
- A linear drive unit connects to the rudder stock via an independent
tiller arm. Accessory fittings from your steering system manufacturer
may be required.
- An authorized Raymarine dealer is best suited for installing a linear drive system.
- Must be able to back-drive steering system from the rudder.